“If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?” - Anonymous
It happens all year round but especially around Valentine’s Day when the chubby winged dude with the bow & Arrow is on the loose. Something frilly…maybe sexy, certainly different from the usual in the type of nightwear begins to enter the minds of not only men but women too. As a man, no matter who you are this can also present something of a dilemma. Awhile back I wrote about having fun at the expense of a hapless guy I know who is also a local Realtor. The Incident at Victoria’s Secret occurred when I saw him guiltily lurching around a local Victoria’s Secret just trying to make a purchase. I embarrassed him in a humorous way but it illustrated the quandary faced by many men when they venture out to buy any sort of clothing for their sweethearts, especially something as intimate as lingerie. There is a lot more to the process than picking the first thing that catches your eye. I have not always been so comfortable with buying or even talking about lingerie but I was fortunate that years ago a woman who was a good friend gave me some excellent advice. As a fashion art director for a prominent publication she knew what she was talking about so with her help along with plenty of coaching from my wife here is my “Layman’s Guide to Valentine’s Day Lingerie!”
First off, all women are beautiful and want to feel beautiful too! As my friend explained, “All women want to look and feel beautiful and once in awhile they like to adorn themselves with something special” .” And you have to remember that often when women are dressed for business, they want to feel good beneath their clothes. Ask a nurse, lawyer,grocery clerk or any woman in any field and you will probably be surprised. When a man goes about purchasing lingerie in the right way and with the right intentions and gives her something she really likes, the lingerie becomes a gift for both of you. Here are some essential things you need to know as you begin your shopping escapade. Yes, this is an adventure…have some fun! Oh…and don’t be shy…really, the sales persons WANT to help you and deal with self-conscious men all time unless of course, you are drooling uncontrollably… Seriously, if you have any misgivings at all, just walk right up to a sales person and announce that you are there to buy something pretty for your partner. They know exactly what to do and will take it from there!
1. Know your partner – Learn her likes and dislikes, don’t pick out something just because YOU are wowed by leather while she likes floral prints. If you have no idea, look in her lingerie drawer. NOTE: I am assuming you either live with this person or have a very serious relationship BEFORE doing this!
2. Choose the Correct Size- There are many items that tout “One Size Fits All” NOT TRUE! Again, look at the tags on her clothing. Or do like me; my wife gave me a small card which I keep in my billfold that has every size and measurement I might need. Saves a lot of time and grief!
3. Style- Yes, again, check first! Don’t go wandering around the vinyl aisle when your partner is a frills or lace type. Trust me designers make very alluring items in any color, print or fabric a woman could want. And while I am on the subject, age is of no concern either, did you ever see the movie, Cocoon? In my construction days, I worked with an older carpenter who used to say, There may be snow on the mountain but there is still fire in the furnace! Just be SURE you know her style! Warning: If you don’t get this right, it will stay in her drawer and eventually be tossed or worse, returned…for a pair of drab (but oh so comfortable) sweat pants!
4. Body Type- Ask at the store or look at the FAQ online! Everyone is different and there is something that is flattering for all shapes and sizes. Whether you are in a store or online, there are answers for you but you have to ask! I have actually had sales person pick out an associate who resembled my wife’s figure and that was helpful when shopping.
5. Price- You are going to be spending some money and NO, though we certainly owe some thanks to Fredrick’s of Hollywood, it’s better to shop at a local upper end department store or boutique. If you are comfortable, an upper end online boutique is also a good choice but you better know what you are doing. Don’t be shocked by the price tag the price tag. Measured by the square inch, high quality lingerie is probably more expensive than Lake Austin Waterfront Property. (There I did make this post about Austin Luxury Real Estate). No woman wants rough, cheap or flimsy materials against their skin. Lingerie has to look good AND feel good so don’t cut corners.
Well, that about covers it, so to speak The last thing to remember and this is very important, is some excellent advice from a well known authority on lingerie:
“I love to wear lingerie. The problem is that men always rip it off too quickly. When women are dolled up in lingerie they feel sexy. So let us wear it for five minutes.” Karen McDougal – Playmate of the Year 1998
If for some reason you are unable to get it together and make this happen, you can always buy her a gift certificate. Shopping for lingerie together would make a really cool Valentine’s Date! Either way, just remember to make it fun so that you can do it again next year or even next week! Happy Valentine’s Day from Deep in the Heart of Texas!
ONE LAST NOTE: This post was written with the approval of my wife, who also mentioned that Jewelry would be an even better subject next time
My name is Russell Lewis, I have twenty one years experience assisting buyers and sellers in Austin’s finest neighborhoods. I am not all things to all people and concentrate the majority of my business in Central, West and Southwest Austin and the Westlake/Eanes School District.If you or anyone you know is anticipating purchasing or selling real estate and would like to learn more about living The Good Life in Austin Texas I would be happy to be of assistance.Email or call my mobile number for a private consultation at your convenience!